Sunday, January 13, 2008

BIAM

Some of you may know I'm writing a children's book. The whole process started three years ago. In our homeschool we were studying the state of Utah. In our local library, with out wonderful librarian I was searching out books to read with my children. One of the first stories I thought of for my younger children was the miracle of the gulls. I figured surely there would be a children's book or thirty, and I love the story. The librarian told me there wasn't a book about it and challenged me to write one.

The entire ride home I thought of the millions of reasons i didn't have time to write a book. I was pregnant with the twins at the time, and had five children, a husband and a home that all demanded my attention. No matter how many excuses I came up with, the idea kept coming back...so I started to write.

I discovered that I really enjoyed writing. I enjoyed doing something that stayed done...assuming you don't mind ten or twenty rewrites. I don't mind people commenting or criticizing my story and I really enjoy having a focus for what I am studying. I loved doing the research, though I was surprised at how much research a simple picture book required! The story is still the same simple story I knew as a child, but the form has taken a thousand different shapes. Through the rewriting process I have found a few people who have given me great advice, and I am close to sending this in to a publisher. My goal was to send it in before I had Abi. I always go late, so that would be the middle of January...except Abi came early and here we are.

I stumbled across this blog and decided to join up and get the book sent to a first publisher this month. I'm really close to sending it in, so this really is possible. After all I only had one baby this time! I also figure writing this little blurb will get me going. After all everyone will want to know when I get my first rejection notice right?! Then I will be able to say I really am a writer

8 comments:

Tamster said...

I don't remember you telling me anything about this before. How exciting! That's great! I noticed you commented on Marcia's blog. Was it through hers that you found what you were referring to? Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted! :-)

Kelly Family said...

Tami, it is Marcia's blog...I do need the motivation.

sharbear said...

That is great. I'm sure it will be wonderful. These blogs have made me realize how much I like writing, too. Good luck and can't wait to read your book.

Tamster said...

We may have talked about it before briefly because I'm thinking I might have told you to look at her blog. But then I'm not sure whether that was you or someone else. Maybe I have selective listening problems too. :-) Sorry, if you did tell me about it and I forgot. If you didn't and I was remembering right, then why didn't you tell me? ;-)
How are you feeling, by the way? I figure you must be doing okay since you're blogging! :-) Are you getting enough rest? (That may sound laughable and impossible, but you really should make sure you are.) Love y'all! :-)

BonBon said...

I want the first autographed copy! Great job and keep with it! I'm Jeremy's loud-mouthed-sister by the way.
I did love the story of your last delivery because that would have been me if I had had another baby!

Tamster said...

Uh oh! Bonnie's going to start a fight here. I suspect there will be a lot of people wanting the FIRST AUTOGRAPHED COPY! Well, I won't even pretend to think that I would get the FIRST, but it would be fun to have one at least. Keep at it, Britt! You can do it! :-)

Kelly Family said...

About fights for the first autographed copy...I'm sure I can autograph about 20 at a tine right? Surely when I had my eighth child, someone was thoughtful enough to clone me or give me a few extra arms right?


oh well...maybe I'll give people the first copy I signed...today.

That makes me wonder...will people want to READ the autograph? maybe my husband should do it!

Kelly Family said...

About fights for the first autographed copy...I'm sure I can autograph about 20 at a tine right? Surely when I had my eighth child, someone was thoughtful enough to clone me or give me a few extra arms right?


oh well...maybe I'll give people the first copy I signed...today.

That makes me wonder...will people want to READ the autograph? maybe my husband should do it!