Some of you may know I'm writing a children's book. The whole process started three years ago. In our homeschool we were studying the state of Utah. In our local library, with out wonderful librarian I was searching out books to read with my children. One of the first stories I thought of for my younger children was the miracle of the gulls. I figured surely there would be a children's book or thirty, and I love the story. The librarian told me there wasn't a book about it and challenged me to write one.
The entire ride home I thought of the millions of reasons i didn't have time to write a book. I was pregnant with the twins at the time, and had five children, a husband and a home that all demanded my attention. No matter how many excuses I came up with, the idea kept coming back...so I started to write.
I discovered that I really enjoyed writing. I enjoyed doing something that stayed done...assuming you don't mind ten or twenty rewrites. I don't mind people commenting or criticizing my story and I really enjoy having a focus for what I am studying. I loved doing the research, though I was surprised at how much research a simple picture book required! The story is still the same simple story I knew as a child, but the form has taken a thousand different shapes. Through the rewriting process I have found a few people who have given me great advice, and I am close to sending this in to a publisher. My goal was to send it in before I had Abi. I always go late, so that would be the middle of January...except Abi came early and here we are.
I stumbled across this blog and decided to join up and get the book sent to a first publisher this month. I'm really close to sending it in, so this really is possible. After all I only had one baby this time! I also figure writing this little blurb will get me going. After all everyone will want to know when I get my first rejection notice right?! Then I will be able to say I really am a writer
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I don't remember you telling me anything about this before. How exciting! That's great! I noticed you commented on Marcia's blog. Was it through hers that you found what you were referring to? Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted! :-)
Tami, it is Marcia's blog...I do need the motivation.
That is great. I'm sure it will be wonderful. These blogs have made me realize how much I like writing, too. Good luck and can't wait to read your book.
We may have talked about it before briefly because I'm thinking I might have told you to look at her blog. But then I'm not sure whether that was you or someone else. Maybe I have selective listening problems too. :-) Sorry, if you did tell me about it and I forgot. If you didn't and I was remembering right, then why didn't you tell me? ;-)
How are you feeling, by the way? I figure you must be doing okay since you're blogging! :-) Are you getting enough rest? (That may sound laughable and impossible, but you really should make sure you are.) Love y'all! :-)
I want the first autographed copy! Great job and keep with it! I'm Jeremy's loud-mouthed-sister by the way.
I did love the story of your last delivery because that would have been me if I had had another baby!
Uh oh! Bonnie's going to start a fight here. I suspect there will be a lot of people wanting the FIRST AUTOGRAPHED COPY! Well, I won't even pretend to think that I would get the FIRST, but it would be fun to have one at least. Keep at it, Britt! You can do it! :-)
About fights for the first autographed copy...I'm sure I can autograph about 20 at a tine right? Surely when I had my eighth child, someone was thoughtful enough to clone me or give me a few extra arms right?
oh well...maybe I'll give people the first copy I signed...today.
That makes me wonder...will people want to READ the autograph? maybe my husband should do it!
About fights for the first autographed copy...I'm sure I can autograph about 20 at a tine right? Surely when I had my eighth child, someone was thoughtful enough to clone me or give me a few extra arms right?
oh well...maybe I'll give people the first copy I signed...today.
That makes me wonder...will people want to READ the autograph? maybe my husband should do it!
Post a Comment