Monday, June 9, 2008

30 years ago

Thirty years ago, Spencer W. Kimball was prophet. There was an official declaration allowing all worth men to have the priesthood. What a wonderful, wonderful day. I don't pretend to understand how it felt before that time, or the difference that one declaration. I do remember a talk by Darius Grey relating the Parable of the Laborers in Matthew 20 to the LONG wait to receive the Priesthood.

I didn't have to wait. I was blessed to be born a member so I didn't have to find the truth, just become converted to it.

Yesterday as I was thinking about that wonderful day I was reminded of how long that day had been prayed for. I have had the experience of praying long for something. I guess there againlong is relative and that is what I have been thinking about. How am I changed when I have to pray and continue to pray for something? How are some blessings contingent on prayer? How amazingly powerful is prayer. How can I better pray and live so that when blessings come I am grateful.


This video is long, but I highly recommend it. http://www.mormonstories.org/blacksandtheldspriesthood/

"And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; neverthless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

2 comments:

cory and sharon said...

This really must have been a test of faith for a lot of people. What a blessing, though for them now to be able to participate in the priesthood.

Tamster said...

Thank you for those thoughts. It is nice to be reminded once in awhile to really think about the blessings we have and be grateful. Also a reminder to have patience--long really is relative. :-)